Haunted Wright Patterson Air Force Base Museum

Situated near Dayton, Ohio, the Wright Patterson Air Force Base is home to the National Museum of the United States Air Force. There are not only haunted air craft on location but there are several buildings on site that are also haunted, as well as the Hap Arnold House.

There is even a UFO tie-in to the location as it is home to Hangar 18, where UFO’s and aliens “may” have been kept and studied at one time. This is, reportedly, where the infamous 1947 Roswell UFO crash remnants & materials were brought.

If you do an internet search on the most haunted places, Wright Patterson (aka Wright Pat) will be on the list. There are several websites that have laid claim that the museum is watched over by the spirits of the airmen and airwomen who died while operating various aircraft within the museum.

What condition could have brought on the hauntings?

There are aircrafts and artifacts housed in the museum that are associated with a lot of death. Airplanes from the Vietnam War are housed here.

I’m sure the relics and planes on display at the museum attract the spirits of crew members killed in action (or accidents), which have given the janitors and guards, who have reported paranormal occurrences such as moving objects, unexplained voices, actual apparitions and eerie sounds.

In one story I read, a janitor was actually punched by an apparition. Pilots and crew who loved their planes while alive, are still attracted to them even when dead.

After all, whether young men and women suddenly die in battle or suffer slow deaths because of battles, they may not realize they are dead, or perhaps it is just too difficult for them to go to the other side. Maybe their trauma was so horrendous that they feel a need to remain close to the items they were familiar with in life. They are perhaps looking for answers or just unable to rest in peace.

The Black Mariah, a Sikorsky CH-3E amphibious transport helicopter, is riddled with bullet holes. Supposedly many soldiers perished on board, their voices and moans can still be heard.

Hopalong, a Sikorsky UH-19B Chickasaw that served as a medivac helicopter in both the Vietnam and Korean Wars, is reportedly the home of the ghost of its last pilot. He has been seen by the museum’s night staff sitting in the pilot’s seat. He is flipping switches, trying to steer the helicopter to safety. Its seat is stained with the pilot’s blood.

Bockscar, also known as “the aircraft that ended WWII.” The craft is named after the pilot, Frederick C. Bock. The Boeing B-29 bomber dropped the atomic bomb (the “Fat Man”) on Nagasaki, Japan, which lead to Japan’s surrender. People have reported seeing a young Japanese boy near the plane during the night.

Lady Be Good, a B-24D that disappeared after departure for a bombing mission on April 4, 1943, has parts here. The day of the disappearance there were 25 bombers sent to Italy, however only 24 made it. The Lady Be Good was lost for 16 years, when a group of British archaeologists located the wreckage while flying over the Libyan Desert.

The remains of eight crew members were recovered, one of which was located over a hundred miles from the wreckage. The ninth crew member was never located. The aircraft was recovered in pieces as many of its instruments & equipment were still in usable condition. With that being said, some parts were installed into other aircrafts.

A C-54 with Autosyn transmitters (from Lady Be Good) experienced propeller trouble. A C-47 received a radio receiver and had to be abandoned in the Mediterranean. An Army “Otter” plane got an arm rest. It crashed into the Gulf of Sidra. None of the ten men on board were located. Parts of the plane were, however, including the armrest.

The armrest is now situated in the museum. Reports that the parts inexplicably will rearrange themselves.

Strawberry Bitch, is another WWII era B24D, Liberator that served with the 512th Bomb Squadron, 376th Bomb Group of the 15th Air Force based in Libya and Italy.

She got her name from the red-headed model painted on the side that did not have a stitch of clothing on when the plane was serving in action. It is also one of the more popular attractions held in the museum. Visitors and museum staff have reported hearing rattles and clanks coming from the under-cage where the gunner sat, reports of a shadowy figure seen inside, and others have reported to see strange lights inside the aircraft. The Strawberry Bitch is supposedly the most haunted aircraft in the museum.

After all, during the war, the belly gunners on the B24 were in the most risky position. They would be easy targets for enemy fire or becoming unintended casualties if the landing gear was damaged in a raid. Machine gunners have been shot in the course of defending their position on the plane by enemy fire.

(I do have to tell you that when I went there, there were several locations inside, including Strawberry Bitch that gave me chills. This was before I realized I could “detect” spirits.)

A POW exhibit brings a sense of chills, but is it due to the nature of the exhibit or the idea of it? Orbs have been seen around this exhibit by workers of the museum.

The Air Force base was even featured on an episode of “Ghost Hunters”, where they claim to have captured voices, footsteps, and noises of spirits. There was even a flashlight that turned on by itself by a spirit.

A janitor named Joseph has told of an experience he had near the exhibit about General Doolittle’s bombing raid on Japan during the earlier part of WWII. There is a pistol that he carried during that time that is on exhibit. The janitor claims he saw a strange glow near the weapon during the night. He has heard un-distinguishable voices and even became very sick, until he had to leave the area.

Another worker has seen full body apparitions, unexplained lights and odd noises around the bomber. She also says she has heard the guns “rattle” without explanation. Also seen were mists floating around outside of the aircraft.

Back in the 1990’s there was a recovered painting from Hitler’s office in Germany (after the allied forces arrived in Berlin), was on display in the museum. The painting depicted many members of his staff. Lots of paranormal activity surrounded it, including seeing orbs, and mysteriously lights illuminating the painting would always burn out.

As far as the other buildings, in building 219 there are reports of a spirit of a young boy being seen. In building 70, a spirit of an older woman.

When Ohio author Chris Woodyard visited she said that “The place is full of death. There are dead guys looking over my shoulder whenever I stop to look at something. I have to tell them, ‘Go away, you’re dead.’ Interesting stuff. It makes you wonder if the Smithsonian is haunted. Or maybe the Holocaust Museum.”

“I’ve been to both, and you have to figure the Holocaust Museum is a better candidate for haunting than an Air Force Museum, but all I felt was an understandable depression.”

This is her insert from Haunted Ohio II.

POW Exhibit – Known as the “worst place” in the museum, this area is said to cause a kind of sick dread in whoever visits it.

Hop-along – The Hop-along is a Korean/Vietnam War-era helicopter whose seat is still stained with the blood of a pilot who died in it. Janitors see him sometimes, flipping switches, trying to get home.

Black Maria – The Black Maria flew secret missions in the Vietnam War and rescued injured soldiers. Its body is riddled with patched bullet holes. It is rumored to be haunted by those who died in it.

Strawberry Bitch – The Strawberry Bitch is a World War Two-era B-24 which is haunted by an unknown someone–perhaps a former gunner, since the belly guns sometimes rattle. This ghost once hit a custodian in the face, so be careful.

Lady Be Good – Another World War Two B-24, the Lady Be Good went down in the Libyan Desert in 1943. Seven of the nine-man crew died near the plane, but one managed to walk 38 more miles through the desert before dying–a total of more than 120 miles. Now the crew roams the museum, and their exhibit is considered one of the “worst places.”

The tragic story of the Lady Be Good is told in Edward E. Leslie’s Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1988) in Chapter 21, “Risk and Recreation: A Chronology.” What follows appears on pages 455-459. (The Fate of the Lady Be Good from Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls)

“At approximately 1:45 P.M. on April 4, 1943, the B-24 took off during a sandstorm from a base in Soluch, Libya. It was one of twenty-five aircraft making the Naples bombing run that day. Mechanical failures, many of which were caused by the sandstorm, forced some of the planes to turn back, but the Lady Be Good was one of those that proceeded to the target.

Darkness had fallen by the time the bombers arrived, however, and so the mission was aborted. The aircraft broke formation, and each set off alone for Libya. The Lady did not return.

A routine search was make at the time of the disappearance, and after the war more thorough searches were conducted along the Mediterranean coast, where it was presumed the bomber had gone down. When no traces were found, authorities concluded that the plane had crashed into the ocean.

In May of 1959, a British oil prospector came upon the Lady, crashed deep in the desert and eerily preserved by the dry air. The fuselage contained edible rations, canteens of potable water, and a Thermos of drinkable coffee. Fatigue uniforms and flight gear hung in their proper places, and guns and ammunition were carefully stowed. But there was no sign of the servicemen who had been on board. Further examination showed that the compass and one engine still worked.

(American military technicians visited the crash site and removed the plane’s instruments for further study.) Air force search teams combed the area and found arrows made from rocks and parachutes, indicating that the crew had walked in a northwesterly direction. Desert experts had doubted that the men could have traveled more than thirty-five miles on foot, but the trail ran for some fifty-five miles before petering out.

The following February another oil man, American James W. Backhaus, discovered the bones of five of the fliers. Along with the bodies were, among other things, a khaki sweater, a flight jacket, shoes, pieces of parachutes and harnesses, anempty canteen, and a diary that had been kept by one of the victims, Second Lieutenant Robert F. Toner. With it and the evidence in the fuselage, investigators were able to piece together the last days of the doomed men. In a souvenir photograph taken shortly before the crash, the crewmen of the Lady Be Good clown for the camera. From left:Staff Sergeant Vernon L. Moore, Second Lieutenant Hays, Second Lieutenant John S. Woravka, Staff Sergeant Guy E.Shelley, and Technical Sergeant Harold J. Ripslinger.

The pilot, First Lieutenant William J. Hatton, was inexperienced (as were the other crew members) and in the bad weather had overshot his base by some five hundred miles. He was probably misled as the result of a tail wind that pushed his aircraft to much higher speeds than his indicator showed. Running low on fuel, Hatton had shut down three of the four engines to conserve gasoline, but in the end the fliers were forced to bail out. They did not try to land the Lady with its radio and precious supply of food and water because they thought they were over the sea. Instead they jumped; once on the ground they assumed that they were near the coast. “This tragic mistake,” observed the editors of Life magazine, “created a false hope which was to haunt them to the very end.”

Eight of the nine men came down about fifteen miles from the crash site but did not search for the plane, presumably assuming it had been smashed to pieces or burned. A spent ammo clip indicates that they fired off rounds to rally together. (The ninth man, bombardier Second Lieutenant John S. Woravka, failed to join the others and was never seen again.) They then hiked northwest toward Benghazi, an impossible 450 miles away. The desert through which they walked was so arid and unsupportive of life that not even Bedouins visited the area. They marched on, leaving in their wake markers, empty canteens, and shoes. By day they hid under parachutes to escape the sun and the 130-degree heat, and by night they walked. They rationed their water supply and took regular rest breaks. They crossed seventy miles of desert in a week. The editors of Life magazine noted that If there had been a way out this heroic effort would have saved them. There was none. The perverse fate which had made them miss their airbase held them to the end. For, unknowingly, they and the Lady Be Good had come down on a broad plateau in the midst of a vast expanse of desert which the Arabs know–and do not even enter on camel back–as the Sand Sea of Calanscio. They did, unbelievably, reach the dunes of the plateau’s edge. Because the dunes there resemble those they had seen along the Mediterranean, they probably thought they had made it. The three strongest, Sergeants Moore,Shelley, and Ripslinger, went ahead for help.

The rest, now too weak to walk, waited. They died, probably on April 12 when Toner made [the] last entry, eight days after the Lady had set out. The three men who went for help never returned. Their bones, like the wreck of the Lady Be Good herself, will probably lie forever in the desert.

The entries in Toner’s diary are laconic; yet, written with a thick pencil, they tell with a simple eloquence the story of the airmen’s last days:

Sunday, Apr. 4, 1943

Naples–28 places–things pretty well mixed up–got lost returning, out of gas, jumped, landed in desert at 2:00 in morning. no one badly hurt, cant find John, all others present.

Monday 5

Start walking N.W., still no John. a few rations, 1/2 canteen of water, 1 cap full per day. Sun fairly warm. Good breeze

from N.W. Nite very cold. no sleep. Rested & walked.

Tuesday 6

Rested at 11:30, sun very warm. no breeze, spent P.M. in hell, no planes, etc. rested until 5:00 P.M. Walked & rested all nite. 15 min on, 5 off.

Wednesday, Apr. 7, 1943

Same routine, everyone getting weak, cant get very far, prayers all the time, again P.M. very warm, hell. Can’t sleep. everyone sore from ground.

Thursday 8

Hit Sand Dunes, very miserable, good wind but continuous blowing of sand, every[one] now very weak, thought Sam & Moore were all done. La Motte eyes are gone, everyone else’s eyes are bad. Still going N.W.

Friday 9

Shelly [sic], Rip, Moore separate & try to go for help, rest of us all very weak, eyes bad, not any travel, all want to die. still very little water. nites are about 35, good n wind, no shelter, 1 parachute left.

Saturday, Apr. 10, 1943

Still having prayer meetings for help. No sign of anything, a couple of birds; good wind from N. –Really weak now, cant walk. pains all over, still all want to die. Nites very cold. no sleep.

Sunday 11

Still waiting for help, still praying. eyes bad, lost all our wgt. aching all over, could make it if we had water; just enough left to put our tongues to, have hope for help very soon, no rest, still same place.

Monday 12

No help yet, very cold nite

On May 15, 1960, two British oil prospectors found a sixth body. The identity of the dead man was not clear because two sets of papers were in the pockets of his uniform. One of these belonged to Technical Segeant Harold J. Ripslinger, theother to Staff Sergeant Guy E. Shelley. Whoever he was, he had walked thirty-eight miles after leaving Toner and the others, still on a northwesterly course toward the Mediterranean, and he died alone in the arid Sand Sea of Calanscio.

A reader of the website sent me this story, about her brother’s experiences as a night-shift janitor at the Wright-Patterson museum:

My brother, who is a fairly large man and fears nothing, once got a job at USAF museum as a third shift janitor. He was all excited about the job; it was good pay and fairly easy work. He went for his first night on the job. He met his supervisor there who explained to him that they have had a hard time keeping people on that shift, but my brother thought, “piece of cake.” The first hour went by and everything had been fine. It was eerie already with the mannequins and old airplanes and all, but as he began to sweep he started seeing things out of the corner of his eye. He ignored them at first–or at least tried to!

After half an hour of that he couldn’t ignore it anymore, as ghostly figures began manifesting all around him: Pilots in their old flight suits, noises and voices, and even sounds of airplane engines. My brother, who isn’t afraid of anything, walked out of the best paying job that he’s had in a long time in the middle of his shift. And vows never to step foot in that musuem ever again. When I asked what he had seen in there, he just simply replied that it’s true when they say that a pilot never really leaves his plane.”


Have you had any experiences in the museum? We would love to hear about it! Please leave a comment under the article to let us know. Thank you!

I am a published author that specializes in stories of paranormal, supernatural and children's books. My books are available as Kindle or paperback versions on Amazon. I have had many personal paranormal experiences besides having the best (late) Grandmother who could spin the best ghost stories ever.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *